If you are interested in gardening and do not know where to start, this is a good place. Here are the basics you need to know to save time and money while enjoying gardening.
Lee este artículo en Español
1. Let’s talk the basics first. Plants need water and sun.
Water. Before giving water, touch the soil. Does it feel dry or wet? Add water according to the need of the plant. Excess water is not good, either. One technique is to look at whether the plants leaves are changing color or texture, often indicative of too much or too little water.
Sun. That essential vitamin that the universe give us for free, plants also need it.
If you live in an apartment, leave the plant in the window for certain hours a day for their sunbath. On the other hand, some plants need shade or partial shade, which you have to add to the equation.
4. Plant Food. There are many brands on the market. Choose the one you want, in my garden I use it every 3 months. If you see that your plants start not to look happy and pretty with just water and sun, consider vitamins and check with your local gardening store.
5. Pruning. The opportunity you have as a gardener is to help the plant to bear better harvest. Pruning is part of that process, as you remove leaves that are dying so that the plant concentrates that energy and directs it to other new leaves and crop. And in the same line of pruning is the weeding, which means cleaning the growth you don’t need to help the harvest.
6. Help the ecosystem. Plant specific plants to attract butterflies and bees. You will have better harvest and a beautiful view of Mother Nature.
Investigate the type of plant you want or currently have and with which other crop they can coexist. Some plants do not get along with others, and that includes vegetables, as some have more needs than others. All this helps to have a healthy variety in your garden and to improve the eco-system.
7. Treat them with love. Talk to them, let them hear music and admire them. Happy plants produce better. Observed as it changes from a seed to a fully grow plant, this is one of the miracles of life.
8. Having a garden is work. Keeping a healthy garden is a job that will require sweat, time, and money. However, this is one of the best investments you can make in yourself.